Without a goal, you are most likely to be swayed by people, places and things to circumstances which you are not prepared to undertake. With this regard, it is important to set goals in order for you to get clear on what you really want.
Define your goals.
The primary consideration you need to undertake is to define your goal. Generally, there are two types of goals: (1) Short-term goals; and (2) Long-term goals. Short-term goals are undertakings you wish to complete in the coming days until up to a few months. For example, you wish to finish a project at work within three weeks. On the other hand, completing post graduate studies in five years is an example of a long-term goal. The said goals are achievable in period longer than your short-term goals, usually more than a year or so.
Specify your goals.
After you have defined both your short and long term goals, specifying your goals is the next step to undertake. Goals come in broad category in one’s life since life has different facets. You may want to look at the following categories to help you with goal specification:
1. Physical – this entails the outer you. At the moment, are there things you need to do in order for you to feel and look good? Do you need to enroll in an exercise program or follow a certain diet?
2. Emotions – this pertains to your sentiments and moods. Are you, in general a happy or worried person? Are there things in your mood behavior which needs modification?
3. Family – this involves your own family or having a family in the future. Ask yourself if there are still things you need to accomplish to help your parents and siblings. Alternatively, mull over if you are now ready to become a parent.
4. Education – this pertains to the type and level of education you aspire. Does having a bachelor’s degree make you content and help you prosper? Are there any specific skills or information you need to gather in order for you to obtain your goals?
5. Career – this involves certain things that are all about employment. Do you want to be employed in a company or you want to establish your own business? What age do you plan to retire?
6. Finances – this entails identifying where you will obtain your money and the amount of money you need to get. Are you financially satisfied with your present work? How much money do you need in a particular stage in your life?
7. Social Life – this involves your life outside your home and workplace. Determine the things that can make you relieved from stress and anxiety.
Materialize your goals.
Materialization of goals varies from one purpose to the other. It is best to write your goals in a journal that will serve as a reminder to you. However, do not let your goals be stagnated in your journal. Gradually, work on it. It is recommended that you review your goals according to the present situation of your life.